Poached eggs in a simmering tomato sauce with spices, feta, and cilanto?! Count me in.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 14oz cans diced or crushed tomatoes
- 5 or 6 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Pita, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan or skillet. Add the onion and red bell pepper, and cook over medium heat until softened, ~5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices.
- Pour the tomatoes (with the liquid) into the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Use a wooden spoon to make wells in the sauce. Crack one egg into each well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and leave to cook for 5-10 minutes, until the eggs are cooked how you like.
- Sprinkle feta and cilantro and/or parsley on top. Serve with pita!